What You Should Know About Mold & Mildew

no responses
Grand Blanc Real Estate _ Mold and Mildew

Mold & Mildew are plants!

The CDC doesn’t classify mold or mildew as a toxic substance–it’s classified as an allergen.
There are tests developed to determine which type is present however there are no testing
standards for what is considered an “excessive” or “acceptable” level. Many people are
sensitive or severely allergic to mold/mildew so if you are one of those people, it just needs to
be removed!


Mold & Mildew are Similar But Different



Why Does Mold & Mildew Exist?


    • Both are organic materials that grow and spread under ideal conditions. In nature itspurpose is to break down materials like trees, leaves and other plants.
    • Unfortunately, some houses provide all 3 of those “ideal” conditions: warm temperature a food source and moisture.
    • Mold and mildew love our internal home temperatures and can find great food sources in many materials used in building a house. Neither of these can be totally eliminated. What we can control is the amount of moisture in our homes.
    • If you see a mold infestation there may be water leaking in from the roof or through faulty plumbing. It is also found in basements where water may be coming in through walls or floors, or perhaps just due to excessive humidity in the air.


How to get rid of Mold & Mildew


    • Non-porous surfaces: clean with a mixture of 1 part bleach to 8 parts water.
    • Porous materials: treat with RMR-86 or Concrobium as directed by the manufacturer
      (available at Home Depot). These products will kill mold/mildew and remove the stains.
    • Locate the source of the excess moisture: check roof, foundation, plumbing, basement
      floors and walls.
    • Make repairs to prevent further leaking. Basement walls and floors can be treated with
      waterproofing paints. There are many companies that specialize in basement or
      crawlspace waterproofing.
    • HEPA air filters are helpful to remove airborn spores
    • Dehumidifiers are helpful to remove excess moisture from the air, especially in basement
    • For larger areas with contamination, you may want to contact a mold remediation
      specialist or contact a restoration company to remove/replace walls or flooring. If you
      own the home, this service may be covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy.